The more attention you give to preparing your new lawn, the better success you will have. There are no shortcuts to a healthy lawn.
- Remove all existing grass, rocks and weeds.
- Loosen top soil to a depth of 4 to 6 inches with a rototiller.
- If top soil is brought in, use a minimum of 3 inches and incorporate into existing soil.
- Level the area using a rake. Rake and level simultaneously.
- Roll the area lightly for a smooth surface.
- Apply lime at a rate of 50 lbs per 500 square feet. Landscape rakes, rollers and fertilizer spreaders are often available at rental outlets. We recommend an application of dolomite or agricultural grade limestone at the rate of 50 lbs. per 500 square feet.
- Rake area lightly.
In this download will find a complete guide to measuring, preparing, installing and maintaining your sod.